Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Graduation

Last Saturday was the Jr High graduation.  I had been to this ceremony two years ago, but didn't really remember all of it.  I also missed the one last year due to being at home.

In Japan the children go to kindergarten and then elementary school from first to sixth grade.  They then start over in Jr high as first graders and graduate when they are third graders.  After Jr high they go to different high schools based on different tests they took, and though some will still be with a few friends, they are pretty split up.  So Jr high graduation is kind of a big deal as it is the last time they are all together and for some, the last time they are going to school in their hometown.  If students aren't very good at school, they might not even go on to high school or might attend a tech school.  Before you get all shocked, let me say that they are 15 years old when they graduate Jr high, not 13 like I was when I graduated Jr high.

Anyway, in Japan they have ceremonies for everything and they have graduation ceremonies for everything.  They are all made out to be these serious events, but because there are so many of them they end up being more of a hassle than a big deal (sorry if I am offending anyone).  At the school I teach at, aside from parents, not many people come to the graduation and even then not everyone had parents come.  Also, you don't see many siblings or grandparents like you would in America.  People are always on the go in Japan so a lot of times people want to come but can't because of work, house responsibilities, etc

The ceremony itself was quite boring and somber.  The adults all wore their best black suits and the students wore the same uniforms they had been wearing the past three years.  I was a rebel in that I had a dark pink shirt with my black suit, but I just really didn't want to feel like I was going to a funeral.  We had speeches from the principal and then two members of the city hall, and though my Japanese isn't the best, I am pretty sure not a single joke was told.

Four 2nd graders stood up and shared memories of the 3rd graders while a girl played a slow song on piano, and then the underclassmen sang a song.  It was a nice song, but the set-up was really weird.  In the gym there was a stage and then chairs lined up in rows facing it.  The 3rd graders sat closest to the stage with the underclassmen behind them and the parents behind the underclassmen.  The teachers sat to one side and the "guests" (city council workers, BOE members, elementary school principals, etc) sat on another side.  When the underclassman sang, rather than go up and face the 3rd graders, they just stood behind them and sang to the 3rd graders' backs.

Later four 3rd graders stood up and shared memories about the past year.  Again, not a joke was told and almost all of them cried.  Yes it is a sad time, but it is also an exciting time.  At one point each 3rd grader stood up and said, "Here" when their name was called, but, except for the leader of each class, none of them went on stage or even turned around so that their parents could get a good picture.

I shouldn't always insist on comparing things to "America," but it makes me a little sad/annoyed that what should be such a fun experience is so boring/somber.  I don't know why they couldn't do skits, wear their own choice of fancy dress, go up and receive some sort of paper or at least turn around for a photo op. for the parents.  Though my high school graduation was sad, I also remember all the fun of hearing classmate speeches, throwing our hats in the air at the end, hearing a guest speaker we selected, selecting the outfit I would wear under my robe, etc

The worst part was, after the ceremony the 3rds graders met with their different clubs and were given gifts from the underclassmen.  Then, after about an hour, it was announced on the loudspeaker that they needed to leave.  After they were gone, the underclassmen and staff ate a rushed lunch and then hurried out to club practice or to start working on things for class the next week.  It was like, "Well, that's done.  Time to move on."  Part of it is the fact that in Japan there isn't really a break between the school years and so things are busy all year round.

 In the west during the weekend of graduation my parents, who were teachers, went from house to house where families were hosting parties for the graduates.  Even for Jr high graduation (which is not a big deal at all), we had a cake at my house and family and neighbors came over to celebrate. I wonder if the graduates did anything with their families...  I especially feel bad for those students who aren't going on to any higher form of education...  For this to be it seems a little sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment