Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Crazy Choir Ladies

So last weekend not only did I have graduation, but I also had a choir concert (not to mention I went out for food and karaoke on Friday).  This was the 10th anniversary of the start of my choir so it was actually a LARGE show.  We sang a "best of" with different members suggesting songs they had sung in years past.  Seeing as I am a newbie, I didn't really add my 2 cents worth, but the selection was good all the same.

I mentioned Nadasousou in a previous post- love that song and enjoyed doing it with the choir, even with our director doing silly drumming.  It was actually hilarious as during dress rehearsal when the director would ask two of the choir ladies who had been listening out in the seats what they thought, they would always suggest that the drums be quieter or that they be moved behind the choir.  The director would then tell us that we needed to sing louder and would continue to play the drums just as she had been.

The other humorous (for me) song was "I Could Have Danced All Night" from My Fair Lady.  The thing that was funny was that we sang it in Japanese and the translation was really strange.  There is a part in the song where, in English, the harmony sings, "Your eyes are red, you must be dead, it's time to go to bed..."  and in Japanese we just repeated, "konya ha, konya ha, konya ha." which is basically, "tonight, tonight,tonight."

The other songs were pretty similar (aka all in Japanese) to each other and as a closing we sang The Sukiyaki Song and asked the audience to participate.  Added to our singing was a slide show, some solos, the kids choir, and a small pause to remember people who passed in the Tohoku disaster (since the concert fell on the 1 year anniversary).

As always I had fun during rehearsal and during the "hang around" time chatting with the people in my choir. It was a little weird to share the changing room with the kids choir (as most of them are my students), but also fun to see them outside of school.  They have completely different personalities ( as it is with kids all over the world) when they are out of school and doing something that doesn't have to be done in English.

After the concert we went out for another crazy night, though this time it wasn't as wild.  We ended up eating at a karaoke box, and instead of having a free for all sing, we played the game where the person who sang chose the next song for the next person.  I ended up singing only three songs, which is a huge record for me, but also sang along with everyone else (the rule was that we had to be quite for the first verse and then could join in on the others).  I am always blown away by the talent of all the women.

At the end of the night they actually mentioned that this year they want to take a trip, and told them we HAVE to go to America.  They said no, but it would be so much fun.  Maybe not this year, but definitely in the future.

Best part of the night was that the party was at the hotel that is about a five minute walk from my house so I was able to easily get home in no time at all.

Below is a song we have sang at both karaoke parties that one of the ladies is a big fan of.  She can do all of the dance moves and really gets into it.

PINK LADY UFO


No comments:

Post a Comment