Thursday, February 2, 2012

Iowa Pride

Motoaki and I got cable TV sometime last year- maybe November?!?  It was a mistake in that I spend way too much time in front of the TV, but it is nice to have English.

One thing that bugs me, though, is how pretty much all of the dramas these days are about crime/forensics/etc  My friend Mike, who has the same cable, loves it but I can't sit through three episodes of CSI followed by Bones and Dexter.  So I more often then not find myself wandering over to the history channel, discovery channel, animal planet, etc

In November I started watching a show about two guys who go around buying antiques from people and then selling them for profit.  The show is called Antique Archaeology and is a good mix of education and humor.  The two guys often go to the homes of extreme hoarders and climb over all sorts of piles of junk to discover "gold."  I think I was originally interested because it reminded me of my parents and grandparents.

So I have been watching this show on and off for the past few months when I finally realize, THEY'RE FROM IOWA!!!  NOBODY'S FROM IOWA!!  Well, except for me.  For people from Sydney, New York, London, etc this is nothing but for me it is a huge deal to see someone from home making it big.

OK, so maybe an "antique hunting" show on the History Channel isn't "making it big," but I am sure as heck proud of them and the positive image they give of Iowans and Iowa!

http://youtu.be/DjIfXVFgkG0

1 comment:

  1. Whoop - Iowa in the house! I'll have to check it out (though I guess I'm not even sure if I have the History Channel). For what it's worth, I love Dexter :)

    ReplyDelete