Monday, February 20, 2012

I Fought the Law...Twice!

OK, not really.  Just trying to stir up more drama with the title.  But I did have run-ins with the police twice this month which was a first.

On the way to the Three Records Party in Hiroshima  I got pulled over for speeding on the toll-road (like an interstate).  I was going 109 kph in a 80 kph zone.  Dame dame dame!  (For you back at home, that would be 67 mph in a 49 mph- and this is a two lane roadway!!!  and dame is the Japanese word for forbidden or really bad).  I was a little upset because you NEVER see police and everyone else was going just as fast, but what can you do.

At first when the police car showed up, we weren't even sure if it was for us since we didn't seem to be going so fast.  And then when pulled over it took awhile for the guy to come to the car as there are no shoulders on the toll-way and we were basically just parked in the lane.  When the police officer asked me to step out and get in the police car (safer than having him stand in the middle of the road), I was nervous about the price of the ticket but not really worried about actually getting stopped.  I have never been one to cry in these type of situations (except for maybe the first time I got stopped speeding when I was about 17).  I guess my friends in the car were more shaken than I was.  I was also nervous that there would be trouble as I haven't changed the name and address on my license yet, but figured I could I always play dumb.

In the car the police men (two guys) started asking if I realized I was speeding, did I realize the limit, etc  I knew I was in the wrong so I answered politely that yes I understood.  They then told me that I would have to pay 18000yen (or $225) and that I was lucky because if I had been going 115 kph, it would have jumped up to 24000yen (or $300).  Definitely luckily but still sucked...

And then, as always seems to be the case in Japan, one police man started to write up the paperwork as the other man started asking, "So, a lot of snow in Maniwa (the city where I live)?  How about in the US?  Do you eat raw fish?  Do you use chopsticks?  Where are you going?  Oh, Hiroshima!  Be sure to visit the peace museum!" to which the guy doing the paperwork started in with, "And eat Hiroshima okonomiyaki (like pizza...)!  And visit the deer island if you get a chance!  They have wonderful sweets!"  Seriously took an extra 10 minutes because of all the chit chat.

They didn't notice that the name and address were wrong and my license, and the only really worrisome part was when they asked me to fingerprint next to my name.  But I guess that makes sense as a way for me to prove it is me.

They then walked me back to the car and cheerfully wished me a good time in Hiroshima.  Not a bad situation at all, despite the fine.

So I went on my way and put the whole ordeal behind me.  I had about a week to pay the ticket and could do so at any post office.  I was in Hiroshima all weekend and then headed off to Sendai early the next week so I left paying the ticket until the day it was due.  A little reckless, but still within my rights.

Unfortunately when I went to the post office after work on the day of the payment, I was informed that yes I could pay it at that post office but that I would have to pay it before 4.  I had gotten there at 4:20.  In Japan there is a bank part to the post office and this closes at 4, which I knew, but I had assumed you payed at the letter/mail area since the ticket needed to be sent.  I pleaded with them but they said that I would just have to wait for a new ticket to come to my house.  They said not to worry- there would be a charge, but only about 800yen ($10).

I wasn't worried about the charge but I was worried that the ticket didn't have my real name or my new address.  When I explained this to the post office, they told me to go to the local police station and talk to them.  I should have just let it go and not paid it, but I didn't want this becoming a big deal later on.

So I went to the police station and got ready for a stern talking to about making sure my papers/licenses were always up to date and on about not speeding.  But the two police men couldn't have been nicer.  I guess I should mention that when I say police station, I actually mean police box which is actually an "outpost."  Police boxes are little one-two room buildings where people can come in to report small crime, ask for directions, etc  They are actually one of the reasons Japan seems so safe.

Anyway, if I had been at a big station I might have been greeted with some grumpy officers, but these guys didn't have much to do.  So rather than lecture me for being an idiot (because really, all of this is totally my fault and a little ridiculous), they were overly nice.  Gave me coffee, called the number and got the address change sorted out, and of course asked the usual, "So, a lot of snow in Maniwa?  How about in the US?  Do you eat raw fish?  Do you use chopsticks?  Where were you going when you got the ticket?  Oh, Hiroshima!  Did you visit the peace museum?  Did you eat Hiroshima okonomiyaki?  Did you go to the deer island?  How about those sweets?"

As much as I was frustrated by the whole idea that 67mph is speeding, I must say Japan is the best in customer service.  I doubt Motoaki would be treated as warmly if he was pulled over in the states and spoke only broken English!  It's probably because I am in the countryside and probably because they are racist enough to think, "Poor foreigner, she is too dumb to read our signs and read her address!" but I'll take it!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh glad you had some nice police officers! When I got caught a few years back they were vicious :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, well it is the Inaka and they seemed a bit bored. And I think they were surprised that I made as little fuss as I did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was living in deepest darkest inaka too. Was just unlucky that I got a foreigner hater - he got really aggressively angry when I couldn't understand everything I said (was too scared!) and kept calling me gaijin and saying I should leave Japan. I always regret not following it up but was too scared I'd get fired or deported or something...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's horrible! Yeah that was the response I expected because that is what I had heard about police. You should have followed up, but I know the feeling that you "don't want to get fired, deported." You get the feeling that, "Well, I am in THEIR country..."

    The only time I have ever really gotten that kind of response (besides the usual stares, comments, etc) was when a group of us were refused entry in a club for being foreign. I didn't really care because there were a million other clubs (we were in Nagoya), but I think it upset some of the others and it does make me worry about my future kids.

    ReplyDelete