Sunday, July 3, 2011

Osaka Part Two: Saturday Morning

(June 21st)
On Saturday my friend Matt and I, who I had met at training but whom I hadn't seen in about 2 and a half years, got up and hit the main street of Osaka to go to Starbucks.  Now that we have both lived in Japan for awhile we are over it and really just wanted some western goodness.  It was actually fun to not be rushed and to just catch up.  I was relieved it wasn't awkward.  I had invited Matt when I assumed that there would be a billion people coming up with me.  I was a little worried because he had yet to see any of my "friends" since both Amy and Justin were meeting other Japanese friends that day.  If he thought it was weird that it was just him and me, he didn't say it.

Matt moved to Izumo when we first came to Japan.  It isn't really far from me but far enough to have made visiting difficult.  Plus, the first few months after training everyone was poor so we couldn't go anywhere and then when we could, we had kind of lost touch.  Then he decided to leave our company and move to Mihara as a direct hire for the BOE (board of education).  In moving there he met an old coworker of mine who had recently moved from Tsuyama to Mihara.  I saw there pictures of each other on facebook and commented on it being a small world.  I then exchanged emails with Matt and told him about Osaka.  And voila!

It wasn't just us for long as we ended up meeting his Japanese friend whom he had studied with in America.  He hadn't seen her in about four years so it wasn't weird for me to tag along.  The girl turned out to be really cool and to have amazing English despite only having been in the US for 9 months.  She went to a private jr high and high school so I assumed that is where she learned the bulk of her English.

She took us to an okonomiyaki (Japanese pancake only not sweet- made with onion, egg, ham, cheese, cabbage, noodles, etc) that was supposed to be really famous.  There were a ton of people lined up and all of the workers were rushing around getting everyone served and out as quick as possible.  We sat down and when Matt and I struggled to read the menu (it had a lot of kanji) the lady brought out an English one.  Matt opened it up to find a small-for-Japan cockroach (about the size of my pinkie).  Really, looking back I have to marvel at how I have changed in Japan.  In the states I would have run out and would have spread the word about their being roaches in the restaurant.  The place would run the chance of being shut down.  But, in Japan it isn't a big deal.  This isn't the first time I have seen a cockroach in a restaurant in Japan.  Because Japan is a tropical country the bugs are everywhere and in everything and most people don't bat an eye.  They will apologize and kill it, but it won't ruin their business like it would in the states (I always remember the story of my mom and aunt eating at a McDonalds where a woman started screaming about a cockroach).  In all honesty I might have left (and I think Matt definitely would have left- he seemed pretty shocked) but we had waited so long and there were so many people (and we were the only non-Japanese).  It's just strange how your standards change in a different country.

Despite the drama the food was good (I know some might be sick at the thought- at least it was the Japanese kind of place where they cook it in front of you so you can see what goes in) and I enjoyed the conversation.

After lunch I let Matt go off with his friend and I got brave and headed to Motoaki's cousin's BBQ, all by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment