Sunday, July 10, 2011

Lost in Translation

Today I literally lost something in translation.  At the morning meeting I overheard the principal say that they would soon be cleaning out the fridge in the teacher's lounge.  I say overheard because technically it is not my job to be at these meetings and I don't have to pay attention (usually I read the news and prepare anything I need for that day's lessons).  Anyway, I had just put to small containers into the fridge- one with fruit and almonds and one with a salad.  I hadn't labeled them, but nothing in the fridge was labeled.

Worried, I asked the English teacher that sits next to me about it.  She said that my stuff would be fine.  She said that they were only throwing away old stuff and that they would be doing it later on anyway.  So I left my stuff and went about my day.

Come lunch time I went to get my food, though, and the salad container was gone.  I am happy because the fruit container is a more expensive one that came in a matching set.  The salad container was a Ziploc one.  BUT- it was a special sized one that came in a 15 piece set.  Also, the lid that went on it also goes on about 6 other pieces in the set and there is only one other lid in the set.  I still have one lid, but that now means that I can't use more than one of those containers at the same time, which kind of defeats the purpose.  They are the round kind with the screw on lids that I don't usually see.

I know it is partially my fault for not double checking and also for not labeling my stuff.  BUT the container was clear and the food inside could not have been mistaken for being old.  Being lazy, my salads are usually cut up, fresh vegetables.  I don't add dressing or cheese so they never appear "soggy."  If they were left for any more than a day they would look dried up.  UGH!  I now have to ask the cleaning guy where it went and then I have to ask myself whether I will keep the lid (if has gone in the trash).  I need to pay more attention to what Japanese is being said rather than relying on second hand information from Bieber Fever girls (see prior blog entry).

No comments:

Post a Comment