Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Rapture and 2012

OK- so I don't believe in the rapture.  I don't think that there is a way for any of us to know how, when, and where the world will end.  I am not even sure if I believe that the world will ever end.  Though I am a Christian, I am more spiritual than literal and don't really take the bible as the truth.  Instead, I take the bible for its general message of peace, love, and kindness.

I also doubt global warming.  Ok, so I don't doubt it, but it is hard for my brain to process the idea that we might be killing our planet and that it might cease to exist someday.

However, you have to wonder if something is up.  We had the record snows these past two years.  There were the floods in Brazil and Australia and the earthquake in Christ Church.  I read a lot of blogs written by women who are married to Japanese men and live in Japan but who are from those areas.  Then the whole Japan thing and now the flooding and tornadoes in Iowa.  Kind of makes you pause and think.

Of course, one thing that is reassuring is that with a lot of these events they have said, "These are the worst since ####"  In other words, mother earth has seen this before.  And I do believe that part of it is due to there being a mass media that makes it possible to know about these events and to be able to watch these events on TV and on the internet.  I think too I am in a unique situation in that, in my world of expats, I am constantly interacting with a global community.  After all, I was recently talking to a girl from back home and she didn't know what I was talking about when i first mentioned Christ Church.  If I didn't live in Japan then I wouldn't read those blogs, and it is very possible that I wouldn't have heard more than a blip on the news about Christ Church.

It might not be a joking matter, and it might be too soon, but I really enjoyed The Onion article I read today.  I actually read The Onion everyday at work as it looks like I am actually doing something productive when really I am not.  But anyway, I had to laugh when I saw the headline,

Planet Earth Doesn't Know How To Make It Any Clearer It Wants Everyone To Leave

The article is all about how the earth is trying to give us the hint that we aren't wanted, and that how we keep persisting and carrying on despite the worst.  Again, maybe not funny considering the amount of lives lost, communities destroyed, etc  Here is the link for the whole article...  http://www.theonion.com/articles/planet-earth-doesnt-know-how-to-make-it-any-cleare,20639/

In the end, I don't really worry about fate of the world, but I do think about the fragility of life and the world we know.  Of course, when i think about all of the changes that have happened in my life (we are now friends with the Russians, we now sit face to face and chat via computers) and when i think about the changes that happened in the life of my great uncles/aunts/grandparents (we are now friends with the Japanese, we now go to the moon), I have to believe that the world we know will change anyway, and that's not the end of the world.

And in regards to The Onion laughing about disaster...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pxRXP3w-sQ

No comments:

Post a Comment