Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Paris Syndrome in Japan

At work while filling the minutes between the last class and my finish time, I stumbled upon an article titled, 'Paris Syndrome' strikes Japanese.  Thinking this was about Paris Hilton (who, in another interesting story last year or the year before was denied entry into Japan due to previous drug use- stick to your guns, Japan!), I went over to see if she had come for a new movie or purse line and was confused and then amused to learn that the article was about Japanese people who suffer mental break downs after experience rudeness in Paris.  You can read the article here , http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/6197921.stm.

At first it reads like a joke but then, when you think about it and when you think about the Japanese people you have met, it makes sense.  The Japanese do have a habit of believing things they see on TV or stereotypes.  Just ask them about visiting America and they will all reply with how dangerous the states is and how, if you do visit, you will have to be careful not to get shot.  Today while we were teaching about airplanes in the school, one of the students said he didn't want to go on an airplane to a foreign country because it would be hijacked.  This was a 15 year old.  It is believable that they really might be taken off guard to find out that Paris isn't all tres chic and rosy.

Not that Paris doesn't have rude people.  It seems to be a stereotype in America that the french are not nice and that, while the scenery is good, Paris can be an unfriendly town.  I know from personal experience, having had my purse stolen while I was there visiting a friend in college.  But, as traumatic as that experience was, it didn't cause me to have a breakdown or even to be all that mad.  I mean, I was mad, but I didn't let it stop me from enjoying the art, the cafes, and the overall quaintness that is Paris.  In fact, since that time I lost my purse I have been back about three times.

But what really got to me after reading and re-reading this article was the fact that, in real life, the Japanese aren't always so polite.  All you have to do is to read any of the numerous blogs on the internet about ex-pats in Japan to realize the idea of a polite, perfect society is a myth.  AS A WHOLE the Japanese are fairly polite, but there are still a lot who can be quite shocking.  I would think it would be the English teachers who work with the youth in Japan who might be the ones to have break downs.  After all, students have been known to tell a teacher  to, "Shut up! Go away! Die!"  Students have been known to dismantle a teacher's bike and throw it in a river. Students have been known to call a teacher the N word repeatedly in class and then get away with it because, "They don't know better."  You wouldn't believe the culture shock facing teachers who come here with the belief and the false assumption that Japanese students are model students filled with "Yes Sensei, No Sensei, Please Sensei."

In the article about Paris Syndrome, it was said that in France, "The Japanese embassy has a 24-hour hotline for those suffering from severe culture shock, and can help find hospital treatment for anyone in need."  I think the American, British, Canadian, Austrailian, Jamaican, and New Zealand embassies in Japan should do a similar thing.

Now let me back up and say that not all of the kids are bad and that a large part of the problem is that there is no such thing as holding a kid back, sending a kid out of the room, detention, expulsion, etc in Japanese schools.  I don't hate the kids, just the system.  Also, I won't say that America and other countries have it perfect either.  We have rude students and adults, too.  BUT I find it hard to feel sorry for "the poor, offended Japanese who had their feelings hurt by the French" when I go to work and see their children tell their teacher "We're going to poke you in the crotch (only they use the impolite version)!"  and they stick out their rulers while she walks by their desks returning homework.

No comments:

Post a Comment