Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Words for Wednesday: The Roads to Sata

For book club last month we read one of my new favorites, The Roads to Sata by Alan Booth.  It is about a British man who walked from the northern most tip of Hokkaido to the southern most tip of Kyushuu in the 70's.  Though the book rambles a bit it is a great read for anyone who has been living in Japan for awhile as it is easy to relate to a lot of the experiences.

One of the most exciting parts for me was the fact that he walked through Tsuyama and Ochiai, the towns I call home.  Though he only talks about them for about half of a page, it is interesting to get his take on them.

As a group I think the book club felt that the author came off as pretty grumpy.  He complains a lot about Japanese children chasing him and calling out in weird English and also about Japanese adults who won't talk to him even when he is speaking perfect Japanese.  Though we have all felt those frustrations, and can only imagine how walking miles and miles would make those feelings escalate, we also felt that he could have left the negativity out of the book somewhat.

The book is great for showing sides of Japan that most people don't see.   The author definitely knows his stuff when it comes to history and Japanese legend, and he introduced me to many tourist destinations I had never heard of.

I am not sure how I would feel about the book if I had never lived in Japan.  Some people in the book club thought it might be a turn off.  Though the man is a bit short fused with the people he comes in contact with, I think it makes the Japanese people come off as interesting and unique.  Though the book has too many encounters to remember specific characters, I remember vividly certain comments.  For the most part the Japanese people  in the book come off as kind and welcoming.

I let a friend borrow it or otherwise I would quote it.  I guess you'll just have to read for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment