Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Robin is 6 Months

(Written June 3rd.  Work computer won't let me get on blogger so I wrote this and emailed it to myself... and then didn't get online at home).

And we're back...  Hopefully for good this time.  I am back at work so the regular schedule should help me stay regular.  Being a SAHM  was just way too unstructured for me.
Robin turned six months on June 2nd and for me I don't feel like she has changed much since she was three months.  But maybe that is because I see her everyday.  She was rolling around three months but now doesn't do it much except for when she is asleep.  I think because she is content to scoot on her back to get things and when she is on her stomach she just wiggles her legs.  She has become a champion bouncer and would do that all day everyday if we let her.

Last week she started daycare but only went half days at it is a rule for beginners.  Though she did cry in the mornings the staff reported (we get a little notebook that they write in everyday) that she calmed down.  Since she was only there for about four hours, she mostly just ate and slept.  Although they did say that one day the older kids were singing and Robin was quite entranced.  I hope she can carry a tune and sing in the children's choir that is connected with my adult choir.

Unfortunately she came home Friday with a cold that included fever, throwing up, cough, etc This was way worse than the surgery she had in January, IMO, because we were kind of our own as far as what to do when. We went to the Dr and got medicine, but it was impossible to get her to take it and then to make sure it stayed down. She kept throwing up. Then at 8:30pm when she was sleeping, we kept wondering if we should wake to feed her because she hadn't held anything in since about noon. I was afraid she would get dehydrated but also felt bad waking her and going through the stress of getting her to eat again. Luckily she woke up twice that night and ate a bit and Saturday managed to eat and take her medicine. At the hospital with her surgery it was easy as they had IVs and nurses to tell us when to feed her.  By Monday she was pretty much back to herself but the weekend felt like it lasted forever.

During this she also puked on me for the first time and it was horrible.  I have been peed on and will take that.  I think I would even take poop over puke as her puke smelled like spoiled milk.  Sorry if that is a bad image for some.

It has become humid and hot which brings all new worries as a parent.  I worry if she is comfortable and I worry about Japanese insects.  She has already had one small mosquito bite but she didn't really seem to notice it.  Though I haven't seen any yet I am worried about the giant bees, wasps, and centipedes that come out in summer.  And though we figured out it was non-poisonous, there was a big snake in the yard one morning that just made me want to pack up Robin, Finn, and Tom and move to Iowa where the summer bugs are cute- like lightening bugs.  I am being a little silly since most stuff doesn't get into the house and Robin is still a little too young to be out in the yard (if we had grass, maybe, but we only have rocks....).

No teeth or words yet but Robin has discovered how to blow spit bubbles and seems to have a knack for comedic timing.  When we were visiting temples on an island near Hiroshima, many women would stop to comment how cute she was, to which she would respond with blowing spit.  As if to say, leave me alone granny.

We tried our first food, avocado.  She was pretty uninterested for the most part.  She ate it but didn't get excited.  Avocado on it's own is pretty bland, but we wanted to start with that so as not to shock her.  When we were giving her the medicine she was quite upset because she was not used to such a sweet taste (I didn't try it but it smelled like a sports drink).  We wanted to try more foods this past week/weekend but with the cold we decided against it.  Motoaki has voted banana for the next food which should be fun, though I personally HATE bananas.

I feel like I need to be recording stuff and at the same time I am not bothered enough to.  I will say that in her first six months Robin has been to Osaka, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Tottori, Okayama City, and Kurashiki.  In America she has been in the San Francisco and Denver airports, and she has visited or at least driven through Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment