Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Tom Turns 1!

 (Written June 17th).
 
This year has been full of changes for me, but you can't even begin to imagine what my puppy Tom has been through.  In one year he has gone from the breeder to the pet store to our home.  Our home has added a new baby who has gone from a crying thing in a basket to a squealing thing moving all around the floor.  He has seen several house guests and various different parties.  
Recently I have been impressed with how much he has matured.  Motoaki taught him to sit in March and he has since learned how to lay down.  He has also calmed down a lot and we no longer have to hold him back from Finn's food bowl- they share bowls these days.

He has taken to barking recently and it doesn't help that everyone and their mother uses the bike path outside our house.  But he is easily distracted with a toy so at least if I am available, I can deter him from focusing on what's outside.

The best news is that for the most part he has stopped eating his own pooh.  He will occaisionally eat Finn's  if he catches it on the toilet (they use a litter box type thing in the kitchen- though we prefer that they go outside it is nice to have for rainy days or when something else is happening and we can't rush them outside- ie Robin is eating), but he has finally stopped going in his cage and eating it.  Or esle he has just gotten better at hiding the evidence...

He loves Robin but not as much as she loves him, and the few times that they have played on the floor together, he has been a sweetheart.  For the most part we restrict their interaction to me helping her pet him while he sits on the couch.  But I know that when they finally are together they will be fine.

This is a bit random but I just thought I would mark the big day.  Tom's being a puppy was largely overshadowed by Robin being born.  We kept that fact that we had even gotten him secret for quite awhile.  I know there were some who had their doubts about getting a puppy when I was 9 months pregnant, and even I had moments where I regretted it.  But I am so happy that everything has worked out and the Finn has Tom to play with and that Robin will have both as she grows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment