Thursday, January 24, 2013

Japanese Baptism

So it wasn't really a baptism in the sense that we think of one, but we took Robin to a temple to get her blessed.  Motoaki's grandfather was a Shinto priest and so part of Motoaki's parents house is a temple.  But people don't really practice there anymore (except for a few old people) so we went to the headquarters of their specific brand of Shintoism just outside of Kurashiki (for those of you have visited me, it is the town with the mall and the button rings) in Tamashima.

I didn't know what to expect other than the fact that Robin was going to be wearing a Christianing gown and a kimono that her grandmother had bought her.  Apparently the kimono was around $2000 and was the most expensive one at the place she went to (according to Grandpa).  Can we say spoiled?  It is quite beautiful.  Not the colors that I would have chosen, but seeing as I didn't buy it, I didn't say anything.  It seems like a lot for a baby but she will wear it again for her 3 year old blessing/ceremony.  You can read more about that here on wiki  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shichi-Go-San

We got to the temple and it was actually quite a big building.  It looked more like a school rather than the temples I am used to.  There was a traditional temple next to the large, gym-like structure we were entering which I guess is the original structure on the complex.  This was nice as it meant that it was actually going to be warm inside.  However, it made me mad since I had gone for weather instead of fashion with my clothing choice and seeing as how I am in between sizes these days, I didn't look too hot.  I had on work pants and a blouse I got forever ago at Khols.  If I had known it was going to be in a big building I would have worn one of the dresses I had worn to me brothers wedding with a cardigan.

We entered first into a basement and changed Robin in a tatami room that looks like it is used for receptions.  I had put her in a sleeper for the car ride since, no matter how much I trust cloth diapers, there is always that fear of exploding poo.  It quickly became "Grandma's Day" which is fine.  I am not super possessive of Robin and am willing to share her, especially for something that I don't really care deeply about.  Not saying that I don't care or respect Motoaki's families traditions, but it is not something I have ever done before so it doesn't mean as much to me.  So anyway I let her dress Robin.  Even when the hat didn't fit and she kept retying and retying it (whereas I would have just taken it off) I let it be.  Luckily Robin was pretty chill and didn't get fussy about it.



I had actually been mistaken about the kimono.  Robin didn't wear it, I did, blanket style over Robin while holding her.  This wasn't a big deal but it did mean that I was more "up front and center" and it also meant that I wasn't going to be able to step back and take pictures.  Not a big deal but Motoaki isn't familiar with my camera and accidentally messed up the settings, resulting in most of the shots being a bit blurry.


After we had finished dressing her we went upstairs to a big open room where people were praying.  We then went to a corner and asked for the blessing from a priest who was doing this for several people.  The whole thing lasted almost all of ten minutes.  No big deal but I felt bad as MIL had spent so much on clothing.  I had expected there to be more but didn't mind it being short since Robin is still small and can get fussy out of nowhere.

After leaving the big room I assumed we would be packing up and heading for home, possibly stopping for lunch.  I went to change Robin out of her stuff but the PIL told me to wait since we were going to be going for a photo shoot.  Now I got a little upset about this because I hadn't been told about it.  I don't mind pictures but I do mind when I am wearing crappy clothing and didn't really do anything as far as make-up or jewelry.



It was actually interesting because the photo shoot was done at a really old photo shop/studio.  The kind that Motoaki probably got his photo taken in back in 1975.  The photographer had to have been in his 70s and his only assistant was his wife, also quite old.  Still, they did a great job of getting Robin, a 6 week old, to focus and the photo that I have seen so far was great.  I say the photo I have seen so far because I only saw one- a passport photo for her Japanese photo.  That is actually for a whole other post.  Let's just say that even the professional photo was rejected by the super strict city hall.

Anyway, I was upset that I looked crappy for photos that will no doubt be sent to all of the relatives and be put on show in the living room for decades to come, but overall it was a good day.  We ended it by swinging into AEON Kurashiki (the big mall) for  Starbucks (Grandpa stayed in the car with a sleeping Robin) making it a GREAT day!  However, I am still looking forward to the Christian baptism that I am planning on having in March when I am in America.


No comments:

Post a Comment