Friday, June 15, 2012

Happy Birthday Motoaki...sort of...

June 14th was Motoaki's birthday.  It's easy to remember because that is flag day in the US and I was born on the 4th of July- we are a matched set.  Well, if you are American...

Anyway, we aren't big into birthdays but I try to do something.  He is turning 37 so he didn't want to make a big deal of it.  Since his birthday was on a week day we decided on having some really nice meat (well, nice for him- it's the Japanese "nice" which means really fatty...), salad, rice, and cake.

I was also excited because I was able to sneak away and buy him a new suitcase.  We have other suitcases but he likes hard cases (he is Japanese) and his old one has a big crack in it (I suspect it is like 12 years old).  I also got him some shorts that are "good for water and land."  At least that is what the tag said.  I thought I would get him a pair of khaki shorts since he only has one pair and he is always looking for them only to find that they are in the hamper or on the line.  This pair just happens to be "rough" which is good since Motoaki likes the beach and does a lot of outdoor work at his job.

So I raced home from work and got everything all set up.  I had to run a few errands and make some calls for work.  Was about to start cooking when I got a call that he was having trouble and wouldn't get to our house until 8.  AND when he got home we would need to go to a different city and get his car...

So I left the meat to thaw thinking we would just do the b-day celebrations on Friday.  He picked me up and we stopped for some udon (which is his favorite food anyway) and then got the car.  We made it home and he ate his cake by himself (I am not a big cake fan and was full).

It wasn't until the next morning that he told me that he would be going to a work party for dinner.  The meat that he had selected was thawed, had been thawing, and needed to be cooked.  So tonight while he was out I ate the birthday meal without him.  It really isn't the end of the world.  We are going to Hiroshima this weekend with my family and can celebrate there.

Ok so this isn't exactly how we would have eaten it.  We would have had rice, less greens, and sauce.  But Motoaki wasn't here so I had it my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment