Friday, June 15, 2012

Cloth Diapers????



Call me a hippy, but after talking to some moms in my Late November Birth Facebook group, I am seriously thinking about using cloth diapers.  I know, I know...

BUT have you seen the new cloth diapers?  Especially the ones that are "one size pockets"?  Cloth diapers have come a looooong way since when our parents were babies.

A week ago I was talking to my grandma on the phone when she asked if I was going to use cloth diapers.  I laughed a bit and said, "No, grandma!  This is 2012!"  But then, an hour or so after I had hung up, someone posted about fuzzibunz, a brand of modern cloth diapers.  I thought I would head over to the website just to take a peek, and I really liked what I saw.  The new diapers look like a cross-breed between a disposable diaper and a baby swimsuit/shorts.  And though they are expensive, you can save money by buying ones that "grow" with the baby.

I've never been one to "go green."  I mean, I recycle and I don't litter, but I also use paper towels and waste water (in some opinions) by taking long baths and then rinsing off in the shower after.  So when thinking about having a baby I would have never considered cloth diapers.  In fact, when I worked at Target I couldn't believe that people would come in and buy them.  But those were the fold ones.  After playing around on the fuzzibunz website, talking to people on Facebook, and watching a LOT of youtube, I am starting to like the idea of cloth diapers more and more. 

For starters, they are supposedly gentler on the baby's skin.  Then, you can technically save money in the long run and you don't have to constantly run to the store to get new.  You have to wash them, but with washing machines and a bidet on our toilet, I don't think that will be that hard.  After all, I already pick up Finn's poop all the time.  I know a baby's poop will be worse (blow-outs and what not) but I think I could get used to it.  And you help the environment.  Plus THEY ARE CUTE!

Again, this might just be a pipe dream.  I might get the baby and realize it isn't worth the extra hassle.  One mom actually suggested to start with disposable for the first few weeks/months while things are crazy and I am an emotional/stressed mess.  And then, when the baby is a bit bigger and I am in a groove, to buy one or two diapers and try it out.  Then, if I like it and am not bothered, to invest in sets.

My main hesitations are that the cloth diapers will be a hassle when I am out for the day like at the mall or on a road trip.  My other concern is that whatever daycare we go with will flat out refuse to use them.  But, I am thinking that even if we only use the diapers on the weekends and at night, it might work out (saving money) in the long run.  I am also worried about shipping to Japan and finding laundry soap that works with the diapers.  The mothers I have talked to on Facebook have all been very good at answering my questions in detail as to what they see as pros and cons of the diapers.  I really wish I could actually meet someone who uses them so that I could see in person what kind of work goes into it.  I met one Japanese mother who used cloth diapers in the beginning, but she said that she gave up because it was too hard.  BUT she was using the folded ones, which do seem like too much work for me.

If you are interested, here are the sites I have been looking at.  I originally liked fuzzibunz but am now thinking the gogreen one size pockets better (only because I found some bad reviews about the fuzzibunz one size diapers).  I also have seen reviews that say the alva diapers are the same as the gogreen diapers (made by the same manufacturer) but cheaper.

http://gogreendiapers.com/5-cloth-pocket-diapers
http://www.justaddcloth.com/2012/01/review-gogreen-diapers-champ/
http://shop.fuzzibunz.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5AzVhsDDv8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo2-7Fa75AY&list=PL111062E4696E7B40&index=27&feature=plpp_video

6 comments:

  1. I have two friends here that are really into them - I said that I was going to do disposable for the first month and then look into shifting over but to be honest I was still too shaken up by the whole motherhood thing to look into buying/shipping/trying out at that point so I never did, but I regret it because there are such cute ones! And of course it's good for the environment ;) My friend that is really into them bought a few when she was pregnant, started trying them out a few weeks after her son was born, and then worked out what worked for them and added to her collection after that. And added...and added ;)

    A lot of people use disposables when out and about, but I don't think it seems to be too much hassle to pop a couple into a pouch for the day once baby is older and doesn't need to be changed so often. She also swears they are better for poo-splosions because they fit more snugly against the body so you don't end up with poo smeared up the back as often, apparently :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. Sorry I never got back to your comment a week or so ago. Things have been a bit busy. My job changed this year so I am on the road a bit more, and I can see the blog at work but I am not allowed to update it or comment on it (or any other blogs for that matter- so I read a lot of blogs and never comment). Plus I have family coming to town this week so I have been busy making reservations/plans for Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto, and Tokyo. Exciting but tiresome.

    Yeah, I think I want to do like your friend and maybe buy a few but hold off until I have a groove. Maybe it is a fad but the more I look into them the more I dig them.

    Most of the Japanese mothers I talk to or expat dads (I don't know any expat moms personally) think I am kidding myself... We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know what kind your friends use? Pockets? All in ones? Pre-folds?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I checked with her - she said that of course it's down to personal preference but pockets are a good intro to cloth since they're relatively easy and don't cost too much. Prefolds and covers are cheaper but were daunting at the start as they seemed complicated so she didn't do it with her son (used disposables at first) but probably will with her next baby as she knows what's going on now.

    She said fitteds and covers are supposed to be best for newborn poo but fitteds tend to be the most expensive kind. Finally she said one-size pockets are a good into to cloth nappies but don't usually fit newborns so a lot of people wait a few weeks to start.

    Hope some of that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness! I'm a little slow on the uptake (and just got caught up on all of my blogs) CONGRATS JANIE!!! So exciting! You're baby will be one lucky kiddo.

    I had two cousins who used the cloth diapers. One really liked them, and one did not. I can get more info from them if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cd'd two kids in Japan, and really enjoyed it. Sounds stupid but! I am a big fan. I have lots to say on the subject. I also have wet bags and I think I have a cloth dipe at home I haven't sold yet, if you email me at perogies.gyoza at gmail.com with your addy I can send them to you.

    I have lots to say on the subject,sorry. I liked Japanese covers and flats when the baby is teeny, much more than the modern pockets/ all-in-ones. They have a great gusset that really helps keep in the bubbly little baby poos that newborns have, better than anything else. My kids had spindly little chicken legs and giant tummies so nothing else fit them as well. Sposies resulted in some giant explosions!
    When kids get a little bigger, like 3 months, then I like pockets (like fuzzibunz) and all-in-2s. All in ones are great when you have a big dryer but in Japan with the humidity it just doesn't work.
    My son got really bad rashes with sposies which is why we switched. I just told the daycare that and gave them wetbags to send the dipes home each day and there was no problem. I used Costco's Kirkland free detergent.
    There is an online store in Japan that you can order from too, www.bluebear.onck.net. Don't forget Diaperswappers as well!

    ReplyDelete