Friday, June 15, 2012

Euro 2012

 I joined a Euro 2012 sweepstakes with some people in town.  Though I don't mind watching football, I am not the biggest fan of sports in general and only joined this as something to do with Motoaki.  And there is money involved which is always fun.  I drew the Czech Republic and Motoaki got Croatia.  Not good teams, but one can dream, right?

But that is not what I really want to talk about.  Two weekends ago Motoaki and I were spending a lazy morning in front of the TV and in an effort to watch something we could both understand, we started watching a BBC documentary about racism in Football in Poland and the Ukraine.  Recently there have been a lot of reports about racism surrounding the Euro games, and I don't think I would have cared if I had not watched this documentary.

Though I am not a watchdog for racism, I do tend to get a little heated when the subject comes up.  Though America isn't perfect and I am not perfect, I like to think that I was raised with a general respect for people who are different from me.  My parents never expressed a difference or hatred for people that were a different religion, race, nationality, or sexual orientation from us.  We had friends that were from all over and hosted home-stay students.  Though my mom was upset that I would be moving to Japan, she never had a problem with the fact that my husband is Japanese.  My parents don't love everyone, but their dislike for someone was always based on poor character.

So anyway, I was quite shocked to see that, in 2012, it is quite common to see racist violence being allowed at professional soccer matches.  When I say allowed, I am not talking about the racial slurs you hear pro players make on the field. I am talking about the fact that fans hang banners that spout slogans such as, "Dirty Jewish Whores" or "Death to Jews."  They also make monkey sounds when black players take the field. 

I know that fans from opposing teams can get into heated arguments, but what shocked me about this was that sometimes the fans would attack other fans that were supporting the same team.  For example, at one game in the Ukraine a group of Indian students had come to support the local team.  They knew that there were some dangers of being assaulted due to their race, but they thought they were safe by sitting in the family section.  Sadly they were wrong.  In the video shot by the BBC you can see the Indian men just sitting quietly.  Suddenly fans supporting the same team as the Indian men come running down the stairs and, pardon my language, start kicking the shit out of the Indian men for no apparent reason.  And the next thing you know a dozen people are up and beating on the Indian men.  Finally (and it was a long time) some police some and break it up, but no arrests are made.  In fact, no attempt is made to help the Indian men out of the stadium.  As they make their way out other fans stand up to kick and hit the men.  It was one of the sickest things I have ever seen.

Here is a video with the footage...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18192375


Now I know racism happens in America and in Japan.  It also happens in the UK, Australia, and pretty much any country you go to.  But I cannot fathom that this would happen in one of those countries without it being made into a big deal.

I liked this quote at the end of the video footage in the link above...
I agree with many comments stating that racism exists in all countries...but the massive difference is that countries such as the UK are very visibly working hard to try and stamp it out, while countries such as Poland and the Ukraine do little or nothing...they even deny they have a problem.

And what really irks me is that this is all centered around a game.  I don't care how you feel about football or soccer, IT IS A GAME!  GROW THE F%&# UP!  I know there are tensions in these countries behind these games, but to attack someone purely because they are enjoying a match and doing nothing is insane.  And scary!

If you can find the whole documentary, it is worth watching.  It paints a whole new light on the games in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment