Thursday, December 8, 2011

Merry Christmas Maniwa- the after party

So after the teachers' seminar we had a small party for just the foreign teachers at my house.  I was really excited to have everyone over since last weekend I had gone all out, decorating the living room for Christmas.  I got a five foot tree, lights, and random ornaments and got out Motoaki's and my stockings as well as a new one for Finn.

My friend Janet who is a Canadian originally from Hong Kong brought over a fondue set that we attempted to use.  Unfortunately I am not the smartest person and I didn't know that "real cheese" doesn't really work for fondue.  Or maybe her set isn't very strong.  Anyway, it turned into just a clump of cheese that we cut apart with scissors.  Oh well, we laughed and ate it anyway.  We had 10 people there (including me) made up of Janet (Hong Kong Canadian) Amy (also born in Hong Kong to Vietnamese parents but grew up in Texas) Mike (Michigan) Dan (California) Johnny (London) Ellie (Blackpool) Katie (Oxford) Rena (Thailand) Motoaki  (Japan) so it was quite an assorted group.

We played White Elephant, the game where everyone brings a gift wrapped up so you can't tell what it is.  You then draw numbers to see what order you go in.  The first person unwraps a gift.  The second person can either unwrap a new gift or steal the gift the first person unwrapped, and so on.  We have done it for the past three years but last night was the biggest group we have had so far.  Gifts last night included...
1) Mug and Tea
2) Box of Chocolates
3) Random Snacks
4) 3-D glasses
5) a magic gravity ball
6) a cute set of bunny utensils
7) Santa-shaped pasta and expensive sauce
8) a pillow
9) a carabiner that looked like a Swiss army knife with screwdriver, file, etc
10) various snacks

I stole the gravity ball for Motoaki who liked it and he got the carabiner.

I am happy that we now have a proper space to host and look forward to celebrating Christmas in our homes for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment