Thursday, November 17, 2011

Words for Wednesday: Cold Sassy Tree


So this is a book I picked up on super sale in Washington DC last summer.  It is actually a pretty smooth read and offers interesting insights into southern small town living in the early 1900's.  The story focuses on a boy whose world is changed when his grandmother passes away and his grandfather remarries about two weeks after the funeral.  What is great about this book is that the story doesn't just stop there.  It also features numerous incidents such as a train accident and the first car that comes to town.  I am a big fan of historical fiction and this book might become a favorite.  I extremely like how it shows without telling what everyday life was like in those days.  It makes me wish that I had talked to my great grandparents more and also makes me want to speak to my Grandmother and great aunts and uncles about how their lives have changed over the decades.  I also find it interesting that the main drama in the book (the grandpa marrying so soon after the grandma's death) is one that we could find still today while other dramas (like the aunt wanting to become an actress) aren't a big deal anymore.  I wonder why our views have changed on some things and haven't on others.

No comments:

Post a Comment