Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Happy Birthday

My birthday.  It happened, as it usually does, on July 4th.  Didn't do much for it but that is more due to me and my age.  Anyway, thought I would mark it.

In all reality, I lucked out with a pretty good birthday in that the observation I was supposed to do on another teacher got canceled.  I love work and all, but I also love not working.  Who doesn't?  Anyway, I ended up spending the morning calling home and having long chats with two of my Aunts.  They were both getting ready for holiday fun as they live in America.  My one aunt was going away to a cabin by the lake with her daughters and granddaughter and my other aunt was planning for some low-key festivities as her daughter recovered from foot surgery.  Of course we spent most of the time gossiping about my father and my sister's trip to Japan (which I just remembered that I need to update about).

After that I had a huge salad for lunch with avocado and mozzarella cheese while watching daytime TV with Finn.  So lucky to have a new channel (well, new to me) DS Family.  During the day it has Ellen, Dr. Oz, and shows like The Middle and New Girl.  At night it has a lot of good old reality like Wife Swap, Top Chef, The Fashion Show, and Super Nanny.

I then spent a looong time at the pool trying to avoid the old people, and finished the night with McDonald's.  Motoaki had to work late so Mac was the easy option.  Plus I had been craving it.  And it was my birthday.  AND, seeing as how it was the 4th of July, it was the American thing to do.  Motoaki brought me some cheese cake and two slices of some fruity cakes for himself.  I wasn't too bothered as I am not a cake person.

Then on Friday we went out for Yaki Niku (BBQ that you cook at your table) with Motoaki's mom and sister.  They are really too nice to me.  And I am not just saying that.  For my birthday they gave me a Louis Vuitton purse.  They were really excited about it and I had to work hard to also be "excited."  I know, I know, what a brat.  But I am just not a designer girl.  And they had already given me a Louis Vuitton wallet earlier this year as a souvenir from Paris.  I am not responsible enough for such finery, but they said that I deserved it now that I am an adult, LOL.  I will have to remember to use it around them.  I had actually been thinking about splurging on myself this summer and getting a Fossil Bag at the outlet in Kurashiki, but I guess I should use the Louis...  Luckily when the baby comes they will start spending money on it and leave me to my cheap, $10 purses I get at the mall. 

What really made me laugh was that Motoaki got nothing on his birthday from his family.  But I guess his mother knows that while he helped, it's me who is really giving her a grandchild.  Anyway, here's to being 29!

No comments:

Post a Comment