Wednesday, May 30, 2012

In the News

Had a bit of time at work and wanted to talk about some American news.  Two stories to be specific. This might be old, but just some stuff that I was annoyed by. 
 
First off, the track coach that went to prom with a student. Here is one of the numerous articles about it.  I know nothing happened, but this is a little creepy to me all the same.  Maybe it is because my parents are/were coaches and teachers and because I myself am a teacher, but it just feels wrong.  I don't see why she couldn't help the boy find a date rather than be his date.  He looks like a good-looking kid and if he is out for an extra-curricular he can't be that much of a loser.  I remember when one of the Japanese home stay students in town (not at our house) couldn't go to prom because her host family insisted she needed a date.  My brother, being a nice guy (and probably bribed by my parents) came back from college for the weekend and took her.  It was never made out to be a real date, but I think they had a good time.  He would have only been about 19 at the time so though he was older, it wasn't weird or creepy. 
 
What else disturbed me was the mention that she had never been to prom and that that was one of the reasons the boy asked her.  It doesn't mention it in the article I posted above but I saw it somewhere else.  That's where I felt that maybe she had ulterior motives.  And then when I saw her dress I really became suspicious.  
 
 
I don't care what your intentions, if you are 41 and dress like that I think you might be kidding yourself.  I am not sure if she deserved to lose her position, but she as just a volunteer and can still go to the meets and cheer on the team.  I don't know... maybe I am a prude? 
 
And what makes me mad is everyone saying how she helped this boy feel better about himself.  If she really wanted to build his self-esteem, why didn't she encourage him to go stag?  I know a lot of people who went to prom with "just friends" in large groups.  Maybe they got teased because of it, but I don't really think so.  She should have sent the message that he was young and he didn't need to be tied down to some chick to have a good time. 
 
Second, Phillip Phillips wins American Idol.   This was probably the first time I had ever watched American Idol consecutively.  I have watched random episodes before, but this year we have cable and I am too tired/lazy to get out much.  I started watching and really liked a lot of the contestants.  Though I didn't have a clear favorite, I really enjoyed Heejun (more for his personality than his singing), Skylar (for her energy and attitude), Jessica (for her voice power and her sweet personality), Hollie (same as Jessica), and Joshua (for his all around showmanship- the guy can entertain, though the screaming was a bit much at times). 
 
What's funny is that I should have been in love with Phillip.  I am a huge Dave Matthews Band fan and like acoustic bluegrass takes on pop (one of my all-time favorite artists is Paul Simon).  His singing was decent and he chose nice songs.  But, first of all, I couldn't get over his exact impersonation of Dave Matthews.  When the other contestants were teasing about his crazy dancing that seemed to come from nowhere, I was thinking, that no, it came from somewhere and that somewhere is Dave Matthews.  I know most artists copy other artists, but this was exactly and it didn't seem to change during the season.  Phillip Phillips is Dave Matthews on Youtube. And the fact that he would always be saying, "I just do me." 
 
I might have been able to forgive him that, but what really made me hate the guy was his smug attitude.  He seemed to always act like he was above it all and that he wasn't on Idol to be changed or to conform to anyone else's standards.  The problem with that is, auditioning for American Idol is in itself kind of a sell-out thing to do.  Don't be on the show if you don't like the way it works.  Go on X-Factor or the Voice.  The thing I loved about Skylar and Joshua in particular was that they had incredible attitude and yet showed incredible humbleness and gratitude.  Skylar was a little rebellious in her farewell song (I'm goin' home, gonna load my shotgun / Wait by the door and light a cigarette / He wants a fight, well now he's got one / He ain't seen me crazy yet) but it fit the mood and was well done.
 
And speaking of the voice real quick, have also been watching that for the first time and love it.  Although I was really sad when I heard Jamie Lono didn't make it too far.  This is Jamie Lono's audition. Here is a guy who does have a bit of Dave in him but who makes it his own.  And his personality is so sweet.  I hope he makes albums and does shows- I'd go watch him in a heartbeat.  In first looking at him I was thinking he looked kind of nerdy and a little out of his league, but his audition blew me out of the water.  So good, so sweet.  Just a nice kid with great talent.




1 comment: