Thursday, January 19, 2012

3 Song Party in Hiroshima

I got an invite from a coworker to go to a party in Hiroshima.  She is actually sort of my boss but a very chill person.  Anyway, the party will be held at a pub/dance place but there is a catch.  All of the guests need to bring a CD that has their three favorite dancing songs on it.  Normally I would say that Hiroshima is too far to go for a party (it's about 3 hours away) but this is such a fun idea that I have decided to go (and make a weekend of it- the boss says I can cash with her).

Now to pick my three favorite songs...  What would you pick??  This is hard because you don't want your choice to be too obvious (in case someone else picks it) but you also don't want to pick something obscure that no one will dance to (so maybe no Bjork...).  If I knew the guest list (like for my wedding) I would easily be able to imagine what songs would go over well, but not knowing who will turn up makes it harder to guess the mood for the night.

Here is what I have narrowed it down to and why...

1. Club Can't Handle Me by Flo Rida http://youtu.be/SgM3r8xKfGE
First off this is my current favorite dance song and it always goes over in the clubs.  It is a bit risky in that someone else might pick it, but I wouldn't mind dancing to it twice in one night.  I love the lyrics to the song (in a dance sense- not something I would quote in conversation) and the beat is good.  Very uplifting music in a "I'm out and I want to have a good time."

2. Moves Like Jagger by Maroon Five http://youtu.be/iEPTlhBmwRg
This one is overplayed in America but you don't really hear it in Japan.  I was at a birthday party in Osaka and requested it at a club.  The DJ had it, played it, and a lot of people got up and danced.  It has fun lyrics and isn't too fast.

3.Home by Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeroes http://youtu.be/rjFaenf1T-Y
This would be a gamble in that it is very quirky and probably unknown.  However, the boss who is throwing the party is from Scotland and it has a bit of a jig feel to it (come to think of it, I should do Brigadoon- jk) so her friends might be up for it.  I just love this song and didn't get a chance to play it at my wedding (I learned about it after) and would LOVE to be in a room full of people dancing to it...

4. Ray of Light by Madonna http://youtu.be/x3ov9USxVxY
This one is an old one and not one of my favorites, BUT I did dance to it on my high school drill team (that's dance team to a lot of you) and it is fun.  You can't really go wrong with Madonna and especially with the age of the crowd that is likely to turn up, it will take people back to when they were in middle school, high school, college, etc  My only worry is that it is a little fast.

5. The Beautiful People by Christina Aguilera http://youtu.be/SsRltCivI4s
This is a cover so it might appeal to the people who don't like pop music per say and yet also appeal to people who live for pop music.  It is more of a song for a dance team but it could work for the party.  Again, part of me just wants to be in a room full of people to dance to this since it doesn't get played at clubs.

6. Roll Away Your Stone by Mumford & Sons http://youtu.be/3eEobPFhpws
This is also a song that would appeal to the people at the party who aren't really dancers.  I'm thinking US/UK guys who came with Japanese girls.  I can dance to ANY M&S song but I figure this one would be the biggest crowd pleaser.

7 September by Earth Wind and Fire http://youtu.be/nfLEc09tTjI
This is just a fun old song that others probably wouldn't think of but that a lot of people would know.  Classic disco seems to beat pop at every wedding/school dance/etc you go to.

8. Wake Me Up by Wham http://youtu.be/pIgZ7gMze7A
George Michael has one of the best singing voices ever and this song is pure 80's bubblegum fun.  I imagine a lot of people going "OMG- I LOVE THIS" especially if it came up after they were well warmed up and had been drinking for awhile.

9. Folding Chair by Regina Spektor http://youtu.be/uCvgXmg0m1g
If I want to be "all cool" and go for "obscure" music I would definitely play this song.  I put it on at my wedding and I don't think many people danced, but you can dance to it and it is really sweet.  And I guess it would provide an opportunity for people to go and refresh their drinks...

10. I Don't Feel Like Dancing by Scissor Sisters http://youtu.be/4H5I6y1Qvz0
Contrary to the title, this is a fun dance song that doesn't get played in clubs but that would probably move people to get up and boogie.  And, though I am not positive, I think we might be playing to a "gay crowd" at this party, so this song would be a winner.  Not to stereotype...




So that is the list I am thinking of but I need to get it down to three...  Any thoughts?  Or what would you pick??

3 comments:

  1. Argh just seeing the words "Moves Like Jagger" gets that whistly bit playing in my head over and over... I wouldn't thank you if you chose it but I'm sure it would go over well!

    My favourite 3 to dance to from your list would be Madonna, Wham! or Scissor Sisters :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. From the list above: 1, 2, 3, 8. No Cotton Eyed Joe or Love Shack? Also love Ice Ice Baby and Barbie Girl...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually I was thinking I should just go with Bootylicious, Devil Went Down to Georgia, You Shook Me All Night Long

    Thanks for the input!

    ReplyDelete